Saturday, May 2, 2009

International Day

Dee definitely wins top International Day entry with this beautiful Italian cake I can't remember the name of. It's marble pound cake, sliced, soaked in Amaretto, molded in a bowl, filled with layers of both plain and chocolate whipped cream, refrigerated overnight, and finally turned out on the plate the next morning. Was truly delicate and delicious. Congrats!


My contribution, Grandma Piggyback's Brownie Pie, was frankly only so-so (though Chef did ask for another large piece to go), and I had a bitch of a time making a nice looking slice. The restaurant lifer brought some kind of sandwich cookie with caramel filling that someone else made for him (what-the-?!), and though people raved, I still haven't tried mine yet. Monique looked so pretty and fresh in her street clothes, and she made a Haitian pudding with crackers, sugar, buttermilk, and fruit, which was actually very good, though not the most attractive color. The super cool bakery couple never showed, and I think we were all kinda disappointed.

Before the tasting, we talked about our plans post class, and the soon-to-be-divorcee, who arrived with no International offering, received her own personal Chef-over, a tough-love encounter similar to the one I'd gotten last week. I do hope she heeds Chef's words, though, which seemed to be spot-on, and the whole scenario reminded me of the Pulitzer Prize-winning play, Rabbit Hole. Though I did not love this play, I often think about the question it raised, which is: Under whatever duress you find yourself, could you dare to imagine living your same life...differently?

No comments:

Post a Comment