Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Moving On

Let's review (I had a beautiful photo to present for just this moment, but it's not uploading. Darn!):
  • I finished my thirteen-week one hundred-hour baking and pastry arts class. Certificate in the mail.
  • I met Chef Nola, who is really a special person. Plus Dee, the super cool bakery couple, and the rest.
  • I gave myself a D+ for my participation in the Tracy Anderson Method Mat Workout DVD, based solely on my attendance record. I still think it's a great (albeit monotonous) workout, and will try to continue on with it as I prepare for summer in the city.
  • I'm selling Jenny's Bread Pudding with homemade Challah at the gourmet take-out place across the street. So far, it's a small but potent runaway success.
  • I had six loyal followers on my blog. Hollah!
  • I've begun the transfer of my blog to book form. New variation on a title: How to Make Bread Pudding.
  • I made eclairs. And petit fours. And puff pastry. And tarts. Pies. Breads. Cakes. Cookies. Rose decorations. And more.
  • I've moved on from my previous Challah recipe (will leave that recipe in the sidebar, however, for old times' sake), and am back to my textbook's Challah, which turned out excellent this week. In fact, my bread pudding looks amazing this time around.
  • I still don't have a guy, though there are two possible set-ups on the horizon: one with an upstate inventor who has his own waterfall (though I can't seem to manifest that rendezvous), and one with the bass player from...Joan Jett (who've I've been told I resemble). The yentl there wanted to know if I thought he was cute, but honestly, I couldn't tell with that big U.S.A. tattoo on his arm, and his hair all red and spiky around his head. He kind of looked like a big grenade. (P.S. My phone broke yesterday when I dropped it on another mystery call from you-know-who-you-are. As if I hadn't gotten the message already!)
  • I still don't have a new job, or more hours of the old one. My copy editing is improving, though. Now if I could just stop leaving the books until the last minute, I'd probably be much less stressed.
  • I have a few new baking tools, including a cool digital scale, a three-ounce ladle, an ice cream scooper, a mini ice cream scooper, a new pastry brush, a box of decorating tips, and even a dough cutter! Plus, of course, my Top Chef kit, my Fourth Edition Le Cordon Bleu Professional Baking textbook, and my yellow spiral filled with copious notes and handouts, one of which includes my now top-secret recipe for Jenny's Bread Pudding.
  • I can put together a bakery box. Kind of.
  • Mise en place: I'm giving myself a prize for most improved.
  • D.J. continues to amaze—me, herself, and the world around her. Today begins the first rehearsals for her debut at Lincoln Center. I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment