Sunday, July 19, 2009

Just Can't Quit Ya

Financial report from Jenny's Bread Pudding Business, which has expanded to include the following products:
  1. Bread Pudding, with homemade Challah
  2. Sour Cream Walnut Coffee Bundt Cake, with Sugar Glaze
  3. Coconut Chiffon Cake with Cream Cheese and Buttercream Frosting, and Grated Coconut
  4. Berry Tart with Short Dough Crust and Vanilla Pastry Cream, with or without Painted Dark Chocolate on Crust
  • initial investment—baking supplies (pans, tins, papers, dough cutters, bakery boxes, string, etc., including one mistake of a tart pan I did not use, worth $25): $275.99
  • food supplies, as of today: $462.95
  • total receipts in my manila envelope (excluding extraneous taxi, video, and "Bead World" receipts): $738.94
  • Total intake, via invoices (excluding three orders gratuit, worth approximately $58): $666.05
  • TOTAL LOSS SO FAR (not including hours of labor, which I have yet to calculate, but I could): $72.89
  • Other side of the coin: Payback so far, not including my initial investment: $203.10, on my way to making back my initial investment of $275.99, and then maybe, maybe, I could begin to make money. Inch by Inch.
Note: There are several variables at work here, including:
  1. I have not included in my costs: cleaning supplies, including dish detergent, floor detergent.
  2. There are several receipts from last minute, unfulfilled mise en place shopping at my corner deli, where I have asked for the receipt, which I then have not itemized, so I'm not 100% sure that each of those items have gone toward my baking.
  3. At same said deli, there is a very sweet worker who would really like to go out with me, and though I have told him I can't join him for a beer, a number of times, he seems to give me recession prices, often charging me only 1/3 of what the price is (though I'm sure the deli's not losing at all), so I don't ask for a receipt then, so 100% of food supplies have probably not been accounted for.
  4. Perhaps I can knock out 2 and 3 above, and call it even.

1 comment: